Are you a renegade?
Renegades are scientists, entrepreneurs, and community organizers, mobilizing as a public benefit corporation for everyone's health. Communities. Families. People. We’re committed to making diagnostic testing more accessible and easy to use for everyone.
The Clinical Laboratory Scientist should be highly motivated, independent but collaboratively-minded with clinical laboratory diagnostics experience to work in our CHORI clinical lab. The CLS reports directly to the Clinical Laboratory Manager and performs a variety of clinical laboratory procedures in all non-analytic, pre-analytic, analytic and/or post-analytic job duties (or assigned tasks) including nucleic acid extraction and quantification, qRT-PCR, ELISA, Mass Spectrometry, and NGS. This position provides the necessary documentation associated with test results and maintains records, quality control, proficiency procedures, and equipment functionality. All CLS’ MUST be licensed as a CA Clinical Laboratory Scientist.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Perform a variety of clinical laboratory procedures including nucleic acid extraction and quantification, qRT-PCR, ELISA, Mass Spectrometry, and NGS.
- Perform both automated and manual techniques to accomplish high volume extractions of samples for RT-PCR analysis.
- Participate in equipment maintenance, QC/QA, and proficiency testing procedures;
- Provide detailed, accurate and legible documentation associated with test results, maintenance records, and quality control;
- Troubleshoot assays as needed, with assistance from laboratory management;
- Complete other laboratory tasks as assigned.
- Author/edit standard operating procedures;
- Track all work and issues in the appropriate databases/tracking sheets;
- Follows all written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Labels specimens and transports to the laboratory sections to be tested.
- Performs clerical duties necessary to process specimens.
- Responsible for all documentation required for the tasks performed.
- Ensures proper and complete patient identification on requisitions and specimen labels.
- Properly handles ambient, refrigerated, and frozen specimens.
- Prepares specimens for delivery and specimen collection kits as needed.
- Aliquots specimens, ensuring proper labeling.
- Properly operates scanning equipment.
- Completes required training courses such as Biosafety and HIPAA in a timely manner.
- Attends staff meetings and in-service sessions to assure job competency and communication.
- Performs accessioning review on a designated basis.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Bachelor of Science degree in biology, biochemistry, or related field.
- Must be licensed as a CA CLS.
- 1+ years of experience in a clinical diagnostics laboratory;
- Familiarity with Google Doc, Sheets, and Slides, preferably with Chrome OS;
- Good general laboratory and organizational skills, including the ability to work independently and efficiently, are essential;
- General understanding of CA Dept. of Health, CLIA, and CAP regulations;
- Ability to multitask is a must, along with an orientation toward teamwork and cooperation;
- Strong creative thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Please provide 2-3 professional references that we have your permission to contact throughout the application process.
- Note: All offers of employment are contingent upon clear results of a thorough criminal background check.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Full-Time
Flexible scheduling is required with the potential for rotating shifts. We are specifically looking for a CLS with the following overnight scheduling availability:
Health, Vision, Dental; Paid Time Off; 401k
*Note: A rate-of-pay differential of $5/hr will be added for the overnight shift.